Fire location:: Radio Road in Conewago Township, Adams County, Hanover Pennsylvania
Fire went to five alarms and firefighters were on-scene for several days with flare ups as demolition crews worked to clear the scene
Originally dispatched for an automatic fire alarm, the Conewago Township Police Dept arrived on the scene of the Miller Chemical Company on Radio Road and advised nothing showing, then quickly upgraded to smoke showing. A structure fire assignment was dispatched, which was quickly upgraded to a working fire assignment. It didn’t take long for this fire to go to multiple alarms … the last we heard it was possibly up to a five alarm fire.
Departments as far away as York PA sent ladder trucks (1-1 and 89-1). Adams County Haz Mat was on scene as well as a haz-mat task force (Cumberland County). Multiple explosions rocked the B/C corner making it seem like 4th of July came early. Major chemical run-off mixed with the water from fire hoses. Area residents were told to evacuate or shelter in their homes due to the toxic smoke possibilities.
At one point six ladder companies were flowing large amounts of water. Departments from Adams, York, Cumberland were seen operating in various capacities. The Red Cross was on hand for refreshments. Pennsylvania State Police was on hand for crowd and media control. PSP Fire Marshals were on scene throughout the night also. A decon team was established for cleaning the fire fighter gear. An EMS tent was established for FF welfare checks.