John Tulipano was in Detroit recently and submitted images from the trip.
All posts for the month October, 2013
Steve Redick recently spent some tim win Detroit documenting the work of the fire department:
Made a trip to Detroit this last week and we were able to see quite a few jobs..some big some small. I compiled a video of some of the more interesting ones and layered in some radio traffic. The end result is pretty much the story of a typical 4 days in that town. Keep in mind this kinda thing happens every day, year in and year out. These guys take a beating every day they come to work and really don’t get the help they deserve nor the pay they should be earning. As I say every time I go there, this members have my respect, and I sure hope things get better for them. It’s a tough way to feed your family.
At 01:00 Sunday morning 27-October, Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue responded to a structure fire at 344 Candlelight Drive. Callers reported flames coming from the roof and that all occupants had safely exited the building. Engine 19 arrived to find a doublewide mobile home with flames extending across the entire roof and fire venting from several windows on the B/C corner.
One crew of Firefighter-Paramedics made entry through the front door with an 1-3/4″ handline, while a second crew made entry through the kitchen with a second 1-3/4″ handline. The roof and ceiling in the living room had already burned completely away, well ventilating the structure.
A second alarm was requested shortly after arrival for additional tenders. Firefighters made quick progress and had the fire under control within 25 minutes, saving much of the structure and many personal belongings, although the home suffered heavy interior damage.
Water supply was conducted with a tender shuttle; there were some access problems on the narrow dirt road. Units were on the scene for over four hours. The fire appears to have started in an exterior wall where a vent pipe for the wood burning stove was located. The fire burned inside the wall, exiting the structure on the rear of the house, but reentered the attic space at the eave. It spread unchecked throughout the attic space completely destroying two rooms and burning the roof off over three rooms. The remainder of the home suffered heat, smoke and water damage. No injuries were reported during the incident.
Engine 19, Engine 26, Tender 1, Tender 5, Tender 9, Tender 17, Tender 19, Tender 26, Tender 27, Tender 903, Medic 19, Medic 26, Battalion 1, Car 12 and Car 118 responded.
Barry W. McRoy
Colleton County Fire-Rescue
Tom Carmody submitted this fire in Pawtucket, RI that went to 3 alarms.
Pawtucket, RI firefighters responded to Dudley Street for a house fire. On arrival, fire was showing from the second floor of an occupied three decker. Everyone had made it out prior to the arrival of the fire department. Numerous lines were stretched but interior crews found fire everywhere that they opened up and the fire eventually made its way up through the roof. Two ladder pipes knocked the fire down before companies went back in and overhauled.
All of the photos are on my site. www.northeastfirephotos.smugmug.com
Thursday morning, October 24, 2013, the Adams County Pennsylvania 911 Center, located in Gettysburg Pa. dropped the Pre-Alert tone for Box 26-2 at 05:48 hours for a house fire with persons trapped in the gated community of Lake Meade, located in the eastern section of the Adams County.
Volunteers from Lake Meade, East Berlin, York Springs, United Hook and Ladder, Franklintown, and Dillsburg responded. Engine 26 from Lake Meade arrived on scene within four minutes of dispatch advising of a single-family, one-story, ordinary construction home, with a well involved attached garage. A working fire dispatch was requested immediately, adding additional tankers and engine companies to the assignment.
E26’s crew advanced handlines into the structure to make an effort to stop the extension into the living quarters of the home. The fire got up in the cockloft and began venting through the roof within ten minutes of the fire departments arrival. The fire eventually extended well into the home and the officer in charge ordered the companies to go to exterior operations.
Firefighters rescued several cats from the burning home, sadly one perished due to the smoke conditions it was found in.
The home was considered a total loss.
Fire broke out early Sunday afternoon in a six-unit townhouse in unincorporated Lake County (IL) which is protected by the Gurnee Fire Department. First arriving units encountered heavy fire from a middle unit and upgraded the alarm to a Box Alarm and then a 2nd Alarm as fire spread to adjacent units. Companies were able to stop the fire before it spread to the other units in the building.
Three firefighters were transported to area hospitals in good condition after being hit by falling debris inside the fire unit. No residents were injured.
Images are from multiple contributors.
More images can be viewed at my site shapirophotgraphy.net
Radio traffic can be found HERE.