Cambridge, Ontario fire dispatch received a call from Regional Ambulance reporting a propane explosion in a large industrial building at 1429 Branchton Road in North Dumfries Township with one serious burn victim March 3, 2016. Cambridge dispatched a full response; four stations and tanker to the call at 7:46, assuming there was a fire in addition to the medical call for the burn patient.
Cambridge covers this area under contract for first hour for North Dumfries Township. A second 911 call from the farm confirmed a fire in one of their buildings. P5 requested both North Dumfries tankers when updated by this additional information confirming a fire. Once on scene, P5 reported a very large chicken barn approximately 200 x 30’, fully involved and requested a full response from North Dumfries.
North Dumfries responded with their two pumpers and two tankers and approximately 20 firefighters. North Dumfries’ chief requested dispatch to activate mutual aid for two tankers from St George (Brant County). Tankers shuttled water from a hydrant approximately ¾ of a mile from the scene. An excavator was brought in to pull the building down to gain access to hot spots. The Ontario Fire Marshall, TSSA, and fire prevention are investigating the fire to determine the cause. Box 690 was on scene for six hours providing rehab.
Gary Dinkel, Box 690
Lebanon and Dauphin county fire departments responded to the building fire on Homestead Road, Grantville, PA in East Hanover Township on Friday morning, Nov. 27. First arriving units found heavy fire & smoke showing from the auto salvage building. Multiple tanker task forces responded for water supply. A master stream was facilitated by Truck 12 (Ono Fire Co.) and Lebanon County’s Special Ops/HazMat Co. 50 responded to investigate some unknown substance(s) stored in the building. Firefighters worked for hours razing the building’s remaining sheet metal walls to chase hot spots.
June 22, 2015 14:35, Wellesley Township, Linwood, and St Clements stations were dispatched to 5903 Ament Line for a fire in the shop. Linwood reported smoke visible from the hall, and Wellesley was added to the call at this time. Linwood reported a large shop/garage fully-involved on arrival, with a large barn containing 150 head of cattle as an exposure. Two tankers were requested from neighboring Perth East station in Milverton. The fire was brought under control in an hour. A high hoe was brought in to pull the building apart. Box 690 provided rehab, serving over 100 cold drinks to the 30 firefighters and emergency personnel on scene.
Cambridge (Ontario) firefighters were dispatched to 1932 Seaton Road on May 13 for a barn fire at 05:45. Cambridge covers this area for the first hour for North Dumfries Township. Three quints, a pumper, a tanker, a rescue and the Platoon Chief responded to the fire in the century-old stone barn. North Dumfries was requested to send their tankers while crews were responding. The barn was fully-involved and all firefighting was defensive.
A fully restored 1954 International tractor, and a 1931 Model A Ford (98% restored) were lost in the fire. Water was shuttled from a hydrant approximately three miles from the fire. Crews were on scene until 11:00. Box 690 provided rehab for five hours.
Cambridge Ontario dispatch received a 911 call from A&P Auto Wreckers at 2155 Main St reporting a fire on their property May 5 at 21:15. Four of the five Cambridge stations including the tanker were dispatched to the call on the east side of town bordering North Dumfries Township. P5 reported a thermal column as they left their Main Street fire hall approximately 1.5 miles from the wrecking yard, and asked for two additional tankers (North Dumfries Township). T
here are two large wrecking yards on the property and access to the fire was difficult. Once a gate was opened, workers on scene were asked to move scrap cars to allow A4 access to the fire. P5 set up for drafting while A4 dropped a supply line and set up for tower and hand line operations. Crews had to cut a 10 foot high fence to gain access to the scrap metal that was on fire. A large shed was their first priority to protect. Additional tankers were called from Breslau (Woolwich Township), and two tankers from Puslinch (Wellington County). Tankers filled up at a hydrant on Main St approximately a mile from the fire. Additional foam was brought in from Cambridge HQ. North Dumfries P4 with a full crew was dispatched at 22:15 for additional manpower.
It took over two hours to bring the fire under control. Once the main body of fire was knocked down, heavy equipment was used to break up the piles of metal to fully extinguish the fire. All mutual aid departments were released by 00:30, Cambridge kept a crew on scene for most of the night. Box 690 was on scene for three hours providing rehab.
Gary Dinkel, Box 690