A Ruffin (SC) family of six was displaced following a structure fire at 7434 Ruffin Road Friday evening 24-March at 22:20. The family advised they smelled smoke earlier before discovering flames coming from the roof and front porch. Colleton County Fire-Rescue Engine 18 arrived to find the single-story, wood-frame structure well involved with flames coming from the roof at the front and rear of the building and from several windows. All six occupants, two adults and four children, escaped without injury. Two canines perished in the fire.
Firefighters used a deck gun and deployed two 1-3/4 handlines. They had the fire under control within 25 minutes, but were on scene performing overhaul for four hours. The home suffered extensive damage and the family lost most belongings. Water supply was handled with a tender shuttle. The fire appears to have started in electrical wiring in the area of the attic near the front porch. The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Engine 10, Engine 18, Tender 4, Tender 15, Tender 18, Tender 23, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 18, Medic 26, Rescue 1, Squad 23, Battalion 1, Car 27, and Car 109 responded. Battalion Chief Brent Dalton served as incident commander.
Barry W. McRoy, Fire Chief, Colleton County Fire-Rescue