Wheeling, IL police and firefighters were called to a parking lot at McHenry Road and Denoyer Trail Thursday night (11/22/18) for a car fire with reported entrapment. Police found one car that crashed into a tree in the parking lot of a small shopping center. There was fire in the engine compartment and an occupant had been pulled to safety by bystanders. Firefighters arrived to extinguish the fire and transport the patient to an area hospital.
Wheeling (IL) firefighters responding for a report of smoke in an apartment found the outdoor electric box engulfed in flames on arrival. The call to 950 Lexington Court came in just after 3AM 1/3/18. As firefighters awaited the arrival of Com Ed, they stretched lines and evacuated the building. Approximately one hour on the scene, the box was de-energized. Water and then foam was used to extinguish the remaining fire. Power was rerouted and restored to the building allowing residents then back into their apartments.
Wheeling (IL) firefighters were dispatched for a working fire Saturday evening at 728 River Walk Drive. A neighbor called to report fire on the outside deck of a unit across the communal driveway that appeared to originate from a propane grill and was extending from the second floor deck to the third floor.
A Wheeling police officer evacuated the resident and firefighters made a quick initial hit with an exterior line that knocked down the bulk of the fire within minutes. Companies entered the unit to extinguish fire that had spread to the interior and stopped the fire from entering and taking hold of the attic space. Units from Mt. Prospect, Northbrook, and Arlington Heights assisted the Wheeling companies at the scene.
Photos and videos are from Wes Jurczak, his wife, and Larry Shapiro.
Wheeling (IL) firefighters were called to 568 Fairway View Drive early Sunday evening (10/16/16) for an oven fire. It was reported that the resident was unable to shut off the oven. A Wheeling ambulance company was at a nearby unit when the call was dispatched and was on scene within minutes in an area that is otherwise at the end of Wheeling’s district.
The firefighters were unable to quell the fire with an extinguisher as it had spread to the cabinets. Residents were evacuating the three-story building that was filling with smoke.
Suppression companies arrived soon thereafter and hit the fire while others searched the upper floors and began clearing smoke.
Wheeling (IL) firefighters along with mutual aid companies from several surrounding towns were sent to the area of 9930 Capitol Drive on Monday afternoon (8/8/16) for a reported car into a pond with people trapped. Wheeling Chief 2400 was the first on the scene advising that a car was perched over a concrete retaining wall with at least one occupant inside. Along with the divers and boats that were en route, an urgent request was made for a tow truck to secure the car so firefighters could retrieve the driver.
Several of the incoming units were returned after the nature of the incident was known and work began to secure the SUV and then remove the driver, who proved to be the only occupant.
Reportedly, the elderly driver suffered from some type of medical event causing him to hit two cars and shear off a hydrant prior to ending up on the retaining wall.
Wheeling (IL) firefighters were called to 298 Tilbury Lane in the Whippletree Village just before 3AM on Monday, 4-18-16. When units arrived they reported fire in a mobile home and upgraded to the Code 4 for the working fire. The flames were knocked down within 10 minutes and they were on the scene doing overhaul for another hour. Mutual aid units came from Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights, and Northbrook. I arrived just after the 10-minute time stamp.
Wheeling firefighters were called just before 4pm to 195 Cindy Lane for a report of smoke in the house. Within minutes the alarm was upgraded to a Code 4 for the working fire and police arrived reporting that the house was fully involved. Two residents that had gotten out of the house were transported to Northwest Community Hospital for smoke inhalation.
The size up from the first fire unit on the scene was fire visible through the roof of the single-family home. Companies made an aggressive interior attack with fire in the attic and the second floor. The homeowner was reportedly doing some plumbing and sweating pipes when the fire broke out.