An adult female was injured as she narrowly escaped a structure fire Tuesday morning 01-November. At 09:05, Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue was alerted for smoke coming from a home at 14436 Lowcountry Hwy. south of Ruffin. Engine 18 arrived to find heavy smoke conditions and flames visible from the south side of the single-story residential structure. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two handlines and forced entry through the front door. They made an aggressive interior attack stopping the flames from reaching the north end of the building. The kitchen, utility room, and dining room suffered heavy fire damage, with the remainder of the home receiving smoke damage.
The homeowner, who works nights, had placed a load of clothes in the dryer before going to sleep. She was awakened by a popping noise and thick smoke. Being unable to escape through the hall, she was able to jump from a window in the bedroom. During the escape, the woman received a broken arm. No one else was at the home when the fire occurred and there were no working smoke detectors in the residence.
The fire started in the area of the clothes dryer which was located just off of the kitchen. The fire spread through the kitchen into the attic and under the floor. Firefighters used a chainsaw to cut some of the kitchen floor to reach the fire under the building. The woman was treated at the scene, then transported to Colleton Medical Center by Fire-Rescue Medic 13. Fire units were on the scene for four hours. Water supply was conducted with tenders.
Engine 4, Engine 10, Engine 15, Engine 18, Tender 4, Tender 13, Tender 15, Tender 18, Tender 90, Medic 13, Medic 18, Battalion 1 and Car 107 responded. Asst. Chief Marty Stallings served as Incident Commander.
Barry W. McRoy, Fire Chief, Colleton County Fire-Rescue